Definitions about Nuclear Energy
Definitions and concepts that will help a better understanding of the articles exposed on this website.
The majority of terms are directly related to nuclear energy, but there are also other concepts related to physics that complement the explanations of the website.
- Radioactivity is the spontaneous emission of particles or radiation from the decay of certain nuclides that are, due to an arrangement their internal structure.
- A radioactive nuclide radionuclides or radionuclide is an unstable nuclide and thus degenerates emitting ionizing radiation.
- Sievert is a measure of the effect on health of low levels of ionizing radiation in the human body.
- Steam Turbine
- A steam turbine is a mechanical device that transforms the thermal energy contained in the steam under pressure into rotating mechanical energy. In the turbine, the internal energy of the steam is transformed into mechanical energy.
- Thermodynamics is the branch of classical physics that studies the thermodynamic transformations induced by heat and work in a system.
- The watt is the international standard power unit in SI. It is the unit that measures the energy conversion rate (joules) divided by seconds. The watt symbol is represented by the letter W.