A gun is a tool used to attack or defend. Among the different types of weapons are nuclear weapons. It is considered that a nuclear weapon is the weapon that uses nuclear energy.
If distinguish two types of nuclear weapons depending on the function that has nuclear energy
- Those that use nuclear energy directly to generate a huge explosion, as in the case of the atomic bomb.
- Those that use nuclear power as an energy source for propulsion. For example, the nuclear-powered submarines, aircraft carriers, etc.
Nuclear weapons as the most dangerous weapon ever designed in the world are considered. Only one bomb can destroy entire cities and leave a large amount of radioactivity in the area for decades. This radioactivity would be devastating to the environment and future generations.
At the moment nuclear weapons have only been used twice in war. This is the dropping of two nuclear bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945 during World War II.
According to studies by the United Nations it seems that there are still approximately 26,000 nuclear weapons in the world, and so far there have been more than 2,000 nuclear tests.
Since the end of World War II until then they have created several multilateral treaties with the aim of preventing nuclear proliferation and nuclear testing while promoting nuclear disarmament. These include:
- Treaty on the Non- Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons
- Treaty establishing the testing of nuclear weapons in the atmosphere, in outer space and under water are prohibited, also known as the Treaty partial nuclear test ban
- The Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban (CTBT), which was signed in 1996 but has not yet entered into force.
Some bilateral and multilateral treaties and agreements intended to reduce or eliminate certain categories of nuclear weapons and preventing the proliferation of the same and their delivery systems.
Last review: April 29, 2015